Spectator Vantage Points
There are many places to watch the Hawaiian Airlines Liberty Challenge hosted by New York Outrigger on Saturday, June 21, 2014. Come up close as the outrigger canoes launch at Hudson River Park’s Pier 26 and join in on the Festival. Aside from the race venue, the race occurs on most of New York and New Jersey’s waterways providing excellent viewing opportunities of the race in progress from the shore.
Below is a list of prime vantage points and approximate times when you can support your favorite teams as they pass by.
Hudson River Park’s Pier 26
Cheer on your favorite teams from the Promenade between Hubert Street and Watts Street in the Pier 26 Uplands as teams warm up in the embayment prior to the start of the race at Pier 26.
- Women’s Race: 7:00AM to 7:30AM
- Men’s Race: 10:30AM to 11:00AM
- Mixed Race: 2:00PM to 2:30PM
Head to the end of Pier 25 and Pier 26 for prime close up views of the exciting commotion of the race start as the crews jockey for position.
- Women’s Race: 7:30AM
- Men’s Race: 11:00AM
- Mixed Race: 2:30PM
Watch the teams find their race pace as they paddle around the Battery along Rockefeller Park, The Esplanade, Robert Wagner Jr. Park and Battery Park on their way towards the South Ferry.
- Women’s Race: 7:30AM to 8:00AM
- Men’s Race: 11:00AM to 11:30AM
- Mixed Race: 2:30PM to 3:00PM
Battling the strong currents of the East River, watch the crews navigate the challenging anti-ama buoy turn from the deck of the Manhattan Bridge.
- Women’s Race: 7:50AM to 8:20AM
- Men’s Race: 11:20AM to 11:40AM
Best viewing of their battle through the East River currents can be viewed along the length of Brooklyn Bridge Park. Cheer them on as they pass Empire-Fulton Ferry Park and the brand new sections of Pier 1, Pier 2 and Pier 5.
- Women’s Race: 8:00AM to 8:30AM
- Men’s Race: 11:30PM to 12:00PM
New York Harbor
See the crews as they enter the turbulent and heavily trafficked waters of New York Harbor. Commercial traffic does not stop for this race so crews must navigate between them. Best views are from the eastern and southern ends of Governors Island facing Buttermilk Channel, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
- Women’s Race: 8:15AM to 9:00AM
- Men’s Race: 11:30AM to 12:15PM
- Mixed Race: 2:45PM to 3:30PM
The crews are at the halfway point and it’s all mental. See the crews grit their teeth and head up the Hudson River. Best views are at end of the promenade by the Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal of Liberty State Park and the Hyatt Regency Pier at Exchange Place
- Women’s Race: 8:30AM to 9:15AM
- Men’s Race: 11:45AM to 12:30PM
- Mixed Race: 3:00PM to 3:45PM
See the crews charge up the Hudson River along the Hoboken Waterfront past Pier A, Pier C, Sinatra Park and their buoy turn at Hoboken 14th Street Pier as they turn to cut across to Manhattan.
- Women’s Race: 8:45AM to 9:30AM
- Men’s Race: 12:00PM to 12:45PM
- Mixed Race: 3:15PM to 3:45PM
Crews will be charging across the Hudson River towards a turning buoy at Pier 66 before making the turn south. Welcome the crews back to Manhattan at the end of Chelsea Piers.
- Women’s Race: 9:15AM to 10:15AM
- Men’s Race: 12:30PM to 1:30PM
- Mixed Race: 3:45PM to 4:45PM
The final legs of the race can be seen along the southern sections of Hudson River Park. Cheer them on as they pass Pier 66, Pier 64, Pier 62, Pier 45 and Pier 40 until they cross the finish line at Pier 26.
- Women’s Race: 9:20AM to 10:30AM
- Men’s Race: 12:45PM to 2:00PM
- Mixed Race: 4:00PM to 5:00PM